How do I request a service by publication in California? If you are asking to serve by publication, ask your court’s family law facilitator or self-help center, or the court clerk for a list of approved newspapers for publication in your county. You may want to call several of the newspapers since fees vary greatly.
What is the process in California for serving a defendant by publication?
- Step 1: Search for the Absent Party.
- Step 2: Select a Newspaper for Publishing your Summons.
- Step 3: Obtain Declarations and Supporting Documents.
- Step 4: Complete the Necessary Pleadings.
- Step 5: Make Photocopies.
- Step 6: Assemble Your Papers.
- Step 7: File your Papers.
- Step 8: Publish the Summons.
How long does divorce take in California? From start to finish, the divorce process in the Golden State can take at least six months – even if both parties agree to the dissolution immediately. This length of time is due to California’s divorce requirements and mandatory six-month waiting period.
Can divorce papers be mailed in California? Regardless of whether service is personal, by mail with Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt, or by mail, the same requirements apply. Service must be by someone at least 18 who is not part of the divorce case. That means that another adult has to mail the documents on your behalf.