Are divorce records public in California? California makes divorce records available to the public unless a divorce court has sealed the records. Any member of the public can access the papers of most divorce cases. To be sure, the information in your divorce case could include personal details.
How do you find out if you are divorced?
- Most courthouses have a public records computer terminal. You can search by your name or the name of your spouse. Check them carefully and get the right file.
- Ask the court clerk’s office for help. The counter clerk can look records up for you and confirm whether a divorce has been filed.
How do I know if I am divorced in California? Record information for divorce filings is available at the Los Angeles Superior Court where the divorce was filed. If the Superior Court location is not known, information can be obtained at the County Courthouse by calling at (213) 830-0803 or going to 111 North Hill St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.
How can I get a copy of my divorce in California online?
- Step 1 – Determine whether the divorce record you want is available from CDPH Vital Records.
- Step 2 – Download and complete application for obtaining copies of divorce records.
- Step 3 – Determine divorce copy fee.