How do I serve divorce papers in California?
- Choose a server. You can’t serve papers yourself.
- Figure out when to serve. You can’t move your case forward until you serve the other person.
- Have your server give the papers to your spouse.
- Have your server complete the Proof of Service form.
- Copy and file the Proof of Service form.
Can I serve my spouse divorce papers the mail in California? Service of divorce papers can also take place by mail so long as your spouse signs a document called a notice and acknowledgement of receipt. Once your spouse signs this document and returns it to your divorce lawyer, service has taken place and the clock starts ticking on your spouse’s response.
How long do you have to serve divorce papers after filing in California? How long after filing for divorce are papers served in California? In California, a spouse has 60 days from the date they filed for divorce to serve their spouse. A spouse that filed for divorce can request more than 60 days if 60 days is not enough time to file.
What happens after I serve divorce papers in California? Once you have served your spouse, they will have 30 days to complete a parallel set of divorce papers called the response. They too will need to file their forms with the court clerk. If your spouse fails to file the response within this timeframe, the court has the ability to issue a default judgment against them.